Are you interested in AR/VR technology, motion capture technology, or even learning how to fence for the first time? If you answered yes to any of these, you may be interested in MIT.nano Immersion Lab's "XR Biofeedback in Sports Training" class-style study.
This study focuses on understanding how mixed reality can be used to improve the learning of fencing moves. If you choose to participate, you will be instrumented with sensors for motion capture and muscle activity reading, placed in a VR headset, and be taught a few basic fencing moves. It is crucial that you have ZERO experience in fencing to participate. As this is a class-like study, you will be sent your own data and will get a chance to learn how to analyze your data after the study. We will host a lesson via zoom after all participants.
If you are interested in participating, please make sure you are comfortable with the following:
1. In order to capture the position of the markers on your skin, we ask you to wear
tight or minimal clothing during individual data collection. In particular, we ask you to wear tight shorts or leggings with a tight t-shirt, shirtless, or only wear a sports bra if you feel comfortable. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing either shorts or a sports bra, you may still be able to participate in the study. If that is the case, you may request a bodysuit on Calendly.
2. Bring your own pair of running shoes. We will need to insert an additional insole or temporarily replace your current insole with the one equipped with force sensors. If you’re concerned about your shoes or don’t want to add an extra insole, you may request a pair of shoes when registering on Calendly.
Use the Calendly link below to book a spot but before doing so, please keep in mind:
1. The study is expected to take about 2-2.5 hours. (Calendly may say 1hr but that is for
scheduling purposes only.)
2. We will be confirming ONE participant per slot. The second person to sign up for each
session will automatically be on the waitlist. You will be notified the day before the study if the first participant cancels.
* If you’re not affiliated with MIT, we ask you to request campus access before you arrive by registering for TIM Ticket: https://tim-tickets.atlas-apps.mit.edu/3djTUqWqecXYKu8X8
MIT.nano Immersion Lab